Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Introduction

I started my own blog once but quit after only a smattering of paragraphs: infected with a motivation-destroying bout of writer's block.

I don't know the first thing about blogs, I thought. Why in the name of reason am I trying this with no idea what to write? There's no rulebook. What are the guidelines?


I am someone who needs a rulebook when I try something new. Yet, when I did find out that books about blogging existed in print, I found the genre complicated and slightly ironic in nature. 


"I'll start an actual blog sometime," I told myself. "When I get the rules down and figure it all out."


Sometime has yet to materialize, and as I realize that after reading this column by my friend, Caroline Brand, http://www.thedp.com/r/fafe2ceb, Sometime will not materialize unless I create it. 


An enlightened individual, I revise my thought process: "I should start an actual blog--now." 


I have read and appreciated other blogs--cooking blogs, fashion blogs, travel blogs, and even a blog dedicated to the art of napkin folding that I can't quite seem to locate via Google searches anymore.


While my lack of interest in, and inability to blog about, all those topics is extraordinarily high, a lot of people have told me that I lead an interesting life: that I meet people and wind up in situations that sometimes border on surprising and ridiculous. According to friends and acquaintances, were I to chronicle my experiences and observations,  I could create interesting reading material. 

So, I start a blog. Do I have a rulebook? No. Do I know what I am going to write about? Only vaguely. 


Let's see if I can last beyond a few stray paragraphs this time. 


No comments:

Post a Comment